Friday 4 July 2014

Materials and Techinques - 'Glass Rainbows'

Fortnightly, I talk to another artist about the materials and techniques that they use in the creatioin of their pieces. I've been interviewing people overseas a lot lately, but today I am back in Australia talking to Denise from Brisbane, Queensland. Denise makes dichroic glass, resin, beaded polymer clay and sterling silver jewellery for her store, Glass Rainbows.

 
Please tell us a little about yourself.

My name is Denise O'Callaghan and I am originally from England. I came over to Australia backpacking in 2005 and didn't want to leave! I now have three beautiful boys and live with my husband in Brisbane. I have been a stay at home mum for about seven years and started jewellery making as my creative outlet. I started with making fusible glass jewellery and have since branched out into beading, polymer clay, resin work and I most recently did a course in sterling silver jewellery making. And this is how my little handmade business, Glass Rainbows, has come about.


What materials and techniques do you like to use?

I change my projects often, switching from one media to another and I sometimes have a few projects on the go at the same time as a lot of my ideas take a lot of planning from the start to the final piece. I have recently been working on a brand new design of resin pendants, called my teardrop design. Keeping the business completely in the family I have my resin moulds custom made by my Dad who sends them all the way from England!


What challenges have you faced in the creative process?

I often have many challenges when I create something new, it takes A LOT of trial and error to get it right and frustratingly lots mistakes are made and lots of pieces get thrown away/ recycled on the path to getting them exactly how I would like them. I get inspiration from all sorts of things from nature, or a pattern I have seen, a day trip to the beach or even something my eldest son has found like a shell (he also likes to create). I have some new ideas for another pendant range which is currently in the planning stages and is inspired by the weather and the sky.


What drives you to create?

I have always enjoyed creating even as a child, I love the proud feeling of achievement I get when I have finally finished a brand new project which has been on the go for so long. Jewellery making has definitely become my way to express myself and I am hoping to instil creating and the enjoyment it brings to my children.


All images provided by Denise of Glass Rainbows.

I've got a great archive of Materials and Techniques interviews for you to browse through. Contact me if you would like to contribute your story.

No comments:

Post a Comment