Friday 8 March 2013

Weekly Recipe: Pork and Sauerkraut

I like to buy things in supermarkets and grocery stores that I don't usually buy or don't know what they are. This week I bought kippers, because I couldn't remember if I like them (I do, it turns out). A few weeks ago it was sauerkraut. We had some pork mid loin chops this week and I thought that they would work well with the sauerkraut, so I found this recipe online.

In my casserole dish, I sautéed the pork in a little oil to seal it and then set it aside.


Then I added a chopped onion, a chopped apple, a jar of sauerkraut (about 300 g), 1/2 cup water, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard and 1 teaspoon caraway seeds and sautéed until soft. I slipped the pork pieces underneath, added a little more water and simmered with the lid on for about 10 minutes since the pork wasn't very thick.

  
Meanwhile, I peeled four small potatoes and cut them into wedges, which I then put over the top of the mixture.


I put the lid back on and went out to take the washing off the line. When I came back, the potatoes were cooked and the bottom of the mixture was burnt, so it must be ready! I served this with baby beetroot.


No comments:

Post a Comment