Friday 26 October 2012

In The Kitchen - Round-up 19-25 October

A very speedy kitchen round-up today, since I spent toddler nap time working on pricing instead.

On Friday 19th, I cooked chicken wingettes, which I had marinated in honey, soy sauce, Dijon mustard, garlic and lemon juice using a recipe from 'Small Food' and then baked. We had them with rice and salad.

Saturday 20th I made Vietnamese rice paper rolls, filled with a stir fry of minced pork, vermicelli noodles and rehydrated mushrooms, flavoured with soy. The other fillings were lettuce, carrot, green beans and Vietnamese mint, with a fish sauce, sugar and chilli dipping sauce from Pauline Nguyen's 'Secrets of the Red Lantern'.

On Sunday 21st we had claypot chicken rice, which I made using a recipe that Darren copied from somewhere or another. The marinade is soy, ginger, sugar, sesame oil and cornflour, as well as stock for cooking. I added lap cheong, asparagus, bamboo shoots and rehydrated mushrooms.

Claypot chicken rice.

I was planning on cooking a curry with some beef chunks for Tuesday 23rd's dinner, but couldn't be bothered. Then I was going to just use some bottled pasta sauce, but decided that it was a waste of money when I could easily make it myself. So on Monday I minced up the beef chunks and cooked them with onion, tomato, eggplant, carrot, tinned tomato, garlic and herbs. We ate the sauce with roasted vegetable and ricotta tortellini.

Tortellini.

Darren bought some marinated kangaroo in garlic and herbs, which I grilled on Wednesday 24th. We made wraps filled the the kangaroo strips, some potato slices fried in cashew za'atar and bush tomato from 'Gourmet Morsels', grated cheese and carrot, roquet, tomato and your choice of tzatziki dip, homemade pumpkin chutney or mayonnaise.

Although I traditionally can't make quiche, on Thursday 25th I made two, one for lunch with my sister-in-law and sister and one for dinner. I based both recipes on the one for tuna, leek and pumpkin quiche from Taste.com.au, making the base and the sour cream and egg sauce for both, but using tuna, roasted pumpkin and sauteed leek and spinach for one filling, and roasted mushroom, pumpkin and capsicum, sundried tomato and sauteed leek and spinach for the dinner one. The dinner one was less soggy - it actually worked quite well. Salad on the side.

Roasted vegetable quiche.

No comments:

Post a Comment